Intercom is a most awesome tool for in app and automated communications. Intercom’s blog is one of my top 5 favourites in the world: I read it religiously even though I am not in the market for the product, that’s how good it is! I love the simplicity of their thinking, married with funky design and an undercurrent of bolshy-ness.
If I was the owner of an app or product, I’d definitely be using Intercom.
But there’s the difference:
- I am a content writer, a marketing person who gets a kick out of planning sequences of communications.
- If you are an app owner, you’re more likely to be a developer or business head, turned on by code or data projections!
This post is for you if you’ve signed up for Intercom and know you’re not using it to its maximum.
It’s like buying a fast car, and so far only sitting in traffic. Don’t get me wrong – this is not Intercom’s fault, they produce hundreds of blog posts that outline features, share user cases, and of course they use Intercom for their own in app communication!
What is missing is for someone to map out the story of your communication.
To date that is something that only you can do, or your marketing person, but what if you don’t have one? Or you do, but they are consumed with acquisition activities, rather than retention.
Hire Brightspark – the marketing person you wish you could afford to hire… and now you can!
At the start of 2016, we were approached by smart thinking, award-winning, all round heroine, Martina Skelly of Yellowschedule. Yellowschedule had signed up to use Intercom but Martina knew they weren’t using it to its full potential.
Yellowschedule engaged Brightspark to look at its onboarding communications, and this is how we did it:
- Phone briefing to discuss the specifics of Yellowschedule’s business: to understand the features available at each price point, and to deep dive into the benefits of each.
- We put together a process flow utilising the powerful logic that comes as part of Intercom, with a rich mix of messages.
- We worked on writing simple welcome messages, how to’s, testimonials, and reminders – all written in just the right tone and with a sense of urgency
- We presented all of this to Martina and got her sign off
- Then we designed images to lift the content visually, built everything into Intercom
- Tested and presented back to the client for approval.
The whole thing took 4 weeks.
At the end of this, Yellowschedule had a sequence of human sounding messaging within Intercom that highlighted their app’s benefits in a very visual way and featured a number of different ways of presenting great reasons to buy.